August 31, 2016
@ Roper Mountain Science Center
Refreshments provided by Accelerate Learning!
I. Introduction & Welcome:
Attendance: Melinda Ammerman, Jessica Austin, Ashely Burns, Chris Burras, Kelly Byers, Ken Carter, Bob Choban, Fay Choban, Victoria Corbin, Alice Gilchrist, Kevin Kunkle, Deanna Ludwick, Lynn Mann, Louise Mariani, Val Mosher, Rick Murphy, Tom Peters, DeDee Quinn, Thomas Riddle, Katie Rishebarger, Caren Senter, Paul Sharp, Jodie Shirley, Tiffany Tate, Susie Teague, Lee Vartanian, Cheryl Wiggins
II. Review of Organization
- Who we are and how we started
- The new website & communication resources – upstatescstem.org
III. Our Priorities (Future Committees)
- Bridge the Opportunity Gap: Support/grow mobile STEM programs to bridge the opportunity gap in STEM education in rural and urban areas across the state.
- Increase Awareness: Increase community awareness of STEM careers and access to these careers in our region.
- Increase & Facilitate Collaboration: Map and align STEM resources in our region to increase access, awareness, and effectiveness.
- Support STEM Volunteers: Develop a plan to recruit, retain and organize skilled professional volunteers to support STEM programs across our region.
III. Collaborative Feedback & Goals
What do you want to see in the next year?
- More participation from outlying counties (i.e. Abbeville, Greenwood)
- Engagement beyond Greenville
- Increase network of collaborative
- More companies (outside Greenville)
- More collaborating among different initiatives
- See various groups work together / collaborate (instead of pockets)
- Additional companies from surrounding areas/counties
- Awesome marketing to increase awareness of STEM collaborative
- Better marketing and awareness
- Spread the word of assets and how to make use of them
- More cohesive messaging about STEM
- iMAGINE Upstate’s continued success and growth
- iMAGINE Rock Hill – Big
- Maintenance of asset map & sharing
- Asset mapping
- Need to grow STEM Linx to become more than just a place to list events. Is it really statewide?
- Increase promotion of STEM Linx
- Stem Linx usage?
- Job shadowing and/or internship opportunities for High School Students (more than manufacturing)
- Recruiting and training STEM/STEAM-minded teacher
- Volunteer opportunities for teacher candidates or future teachers to support and volunteer at STEM/STEAM initiatives
- What volunteer groups are we missing? Do we have and help out with out of school programs?
- Upstate STEM roundup (?) bridge the gap
- High school students can job shadow and / internships at local companies
- Career awareness for 7th /8th and high school
- Mentoring careers (middle – high) – hangouts
- Solar eclipse > aerospace starting point and continues in future years
- Collaboration for total solar eclipse project (Girl Scouts) and continuation with a focus on aerospace/astronomy
- Creation of speakers/exhibitor list
- More mobile labs
What would you like to see in the next 3 years?
- Focus on STEM by higher ed.
- Higher education STEM credentials
- Young teachers need to catch up
- Push teacher education in this area
- STEM certification for educators
- STEM certifications
- Continued growth and success of Upstate SC STEM Collaborative with an effective structure and sustainability
- Would like to still be able to be here as a collaborative and serve as a national model.
- Enhancing global technology and awareness/promotion
- Platform for resource dissemination and networking for collaborative projects
- Brings together diverse professionals with a common interest and host of different perspectives, resources, and backgrounds
- Expand Science on the Move
- Expand Science on the Move to Low Country, midlands and Pee Dee
- Support Science On the Move with more human resources
- Go beyond “in school” time – Scouts, Boys & Girls Clubs, Day Cares, State Parks with “out of school” time
- Mentor programs
- Increase or have more focus on afterschool learning time and rural areas
- Mentor program
- Reach all students in all schools
- Summer programs
- Focus on all schools
- Expanding to more schools
- Summer enrichment organizing
- Develop a library of careers and videos
- List of speakers, their expertise, willingness to talk to students/classrooms/community groups
Why are you part of/interested in learning about joining the Collaborative?
- Increasing awareness of STEM region wide to better educate children & prepare them for STEM careers, breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Learning about new resources
- To find assistance/ideas to bring back to Girls Scouts and/or to help with expending to all girls to learn about STEM
- Support all tings STE(A)M across the Upstate, as well as South Carolina
What initiative(s) need(s) the most attention?
- They are all working together to some point but the asset map and organizing volunteers seems to need the most attention
- Improve STEM asset map & market so more people can use it
- Knowing what all these other organizations are doing
- Getting STEM resources to underserved children (high poverty areas)
- Volunteer recruitment
- Mentoring and internships
- iMAGINE Upstate
- More Science on the Move
- “STEM Innovator moment”
Science On the Move
- Mentors needed for 4-H Science Youth Teams (Gaffney, Spartanburg, and Greenville)
- Get in touch with Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Lowcountry SC STEM Collaborative Update:
- 2017 Charleston STEM Fest is on 2/11/2017 @ Brittlebank Park: charlestonstemfest.org
- STEM Café
- Go to lcstem.org for more.
Dremel 3D Printing Resource:
- Dremel has launched a new printer and resources for EDU
- Working on getting some feedback to them with Chris Beyerle and the kids at NEXT High School
- Upstate Summit with Ten at the Top on September 13, 2016 in Greenville. Go to tenatthetop.org for more information.
- Next Steps Institute on September 26th – 28th in Charleston. Go to thenextstepsinstitute.org for more information
- SC Future Minds – 9th Annual Public Education Partners Conference on October 14th in Columbia. Go to scfutureminds.org/register for more.
Attend or Get Involved:
- 1 Spark! on September 2nd & 3rd at Chapman Cultural Center in Spartanburg. Go to www.chapmanculturalcenter.org/one-spark/
- Manufacturing Day on October 5th at ECPI – Greenville. Contact Donna Swanger at email@example.com.
- Superhero Science on October 8th at Roper Mountain Science Center. Go to ropermountain.org for more information.
- Science + YOU Exhibit opening on September 17th at The Children’s Museum of the Upstate. Go go tcmupstate.org for more.
Are you trying to spread the word about a STEM opportunity in the Upstate? Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details and she will help! You can also add public events to the iMAGINE Upstate STEAM Events Calendar – http://imagineupstate.org/events/.