We’ve updated our social media!
To get better in touch with our audience, we’ve transitioned our social media from using Facebook and Instagram to Twitter and LinkedIn. In the future, you can find us at the below handles:
LinkedIn: Upstate SC STEM Collaborative
Feel free to connect with us on these platforms as we work on better uniting the STEM ecosystem of the Upstate!
July 31, 2019
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CU-ICAR, Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research
Joseph Cignarale, John Tully, Cheryl Wiggins, Tom Peters, Kat Owsley, Brad McKenna, Michael Weeks, Matthew Critell, Dennis Crawford, Shavada Lee, Joan Burket, Hannah Halusker
- Lunch and Introductions 12–12:25 p.m.
- Who are you, when did you join the Collaborative, and why did you join?
- Group activity: strategic plan 12:25–1:10 p.m.
- Review of goals
- Are we on target with our goals?
- Where do we want to go in the future? How can we update our goals to reflect the vision of USCSC for the next five years?
- Presentation 1:10–1:30 p.m.
- Closing 1:30–1:45 p.m.
- Brainstorming for first Collaborative meeting
- Setting dates and times for future board meetings
- Final thoughts
- What insights do you have about each action item?
- (What can you recall that USCSC has done in the past for each action? Are you/your organization/business/school doing something individually to address this goal?
- How has the landscape around the STEM workforce changed since 2017 such that this goal should be updated?
- What part of the goal (actions/outcomes) need to be updated?
- What are some action items you feel we can accomplish as a Collaborative?
GOAL 1: REVENUE
- Lay out the territory of the Collaborative (programs, budget, resources needed, etc.)
- Build it in a logic model or input/output diagram, i.e., “This program requires this.”
- What gaps does the logic model reveal?
- How can the model show directions for the future?
- Where is the money going? This model will show us.
- Can we have individual giving for USCSC?
- “Teach us how to teach others at the funding source.”
GOAL 3: SPECIAL PROJECTS
- Get more schools involved in USCSC, not just those in Greenville County.
- Get creative with staff capacity.
- Build staff with high school or nonprofit interns?
- Companies want to do outreach. Can we coordinate with them to get their availability?
- Then, we can make it into a publishable calendar for the community, e.g., Bosch is available in October, Fluor in June, Michelin in February, etc.
- We are very well known for our iMAGINE program, but not for the other community involvement opportunities we provide. How do we market the others?
- Teachers would come to general meetings if they were made more available to them.
GOAL 4: STEM Linx
- Social media will drive us to the STEM Linx platform. Can we create a social media presence for STEM Linx?
- STEM Linx should offer:
- A volunteer pool
- STEM activities to do in the Upstate
- STEM internships at our community partners
- Mentorship opportunities > Mentor Upstate?
- STEM Linx could be the platform to unite all of our USCSC goals.
- Develop a task force to create an input/output diagram to get STEM Linx off the ground.